Sunday, February 17, 2008

Bobby? The Mystery Is Solved!

Back in December Evan came home from his MDO talking about "Bobby." He talked about Bobby all afternoon. I thought, how fun, he has a friend in school, when we go back in a few days I'll have to ask his teacher. When I asked his teacher if there was a Bobby in his class she said no and that no one named Bobby had been to visit the class either. Hmmmm.... Evan has talked off and on about Bobby for the last few months and will even pretend to talk to Bobby on a phone. As his vocabulary has improved we have learned more about Bobby but still we didn't know who Bobby was. Jeff and I were beginning to think that Evan had an imaginary friend, although it's quite early developmentally for that. It has just been so strange. Then a clue came. My brother in law came into town for work and stayed a night with us. Evan had been saying his name, Peter, all day. So at bathtime we were practicing family names and he was repeating them. When we got to my sister Robyn he repeated "Robby." I stopped and thought -could it be that all along Bobby was Robyn? It's bedtime after bathtime so I didn't take it further but the next day I got a picture of my sister's family and asked Evan if Bobby was in the picture - he pointed right at my sister Robyn! Jeff did it later and we tested him a few more times with other family pictures and it always came back to Robyn.
Evan does not have an imaginary friend, he has an Aunt Bobby! I talk to my sister on the phone almost daily so Evan always gets to talk to her as well, thus pretending to talk to her on the phone all the time. My sister is thrilled to be "Bobby" and I think she will remain Aunt Bobby as long as she can. Mystery solved!

No comments: